Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Slightly OT.

On 6/1/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As the owner of a company that actually actively developing a
replication system and has for years... I suggest you start putting your
code where your words are.

That doesn't make any sense. As a database *user* it's my prerogative
to criticize the bits that make my life painful. Intentional or not,
the Slony design compromises its user-friendliness.

I would love for the answer to have been "sorry, we did not have time
or manpower enough to implement fully transparent replication yet,
because it's a rather complex, you see"; but it's not, and I balk at
the idea that you cannot strive for something better.

For example, there is clearly an opportunity to implement the
appropriate hooks in PostgreSQL that can be used *if they are
available*; otherwise, on unpatched/older systems, require the use of
the slonik command.

Alexander.