Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Storing blobs in PG DB

This doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd throw my opinion in anyway.

My personal view is that in general, binary files have no place in databases. Filesystems are for files, databases are for data. My design choice is to store the files in a fileystem and use the database to hold metadata as well as a pointer to the file.

If you *must* put files into the database, then you can do so, and PG will handle that many files of those sizes with ease. For all intents and purposes, PG can store an unlimited number of files. You're far more likely to run into walls in the form of limitations in your disk I/O system then limitations in what PG will handle.

- Naz.

Nikolay Moskvichev wrote:
Hi All!

Question is : How suitable PG for storing about 2 000 000 binary files 0,5-2,0 Mb size each ? It is not planned the big number of clients or a plenty of updatings. Like photoalbum on local host.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq