Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases

Tom Lane wrote:
Naz Gassiep <naz@xxxxxxxx> writes:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Example discussion with customer:
Finally, in the absence of security concerns or performance issues (and I mean the "we can't afford to buy better hardware" type edge of the envelope type issues) there is zero *need* to upgrade.

This line of argument ignores the fact that newer versions often contain
fixes for data-loss-grade bugs.  Now admittedly that is usually an
argument for updating to x.y.z+1 rather than x.y+1, but I think it
destroys any reasoning on the basis of "if it ain't broke".
Not when you consider that I did say "in the absence of security concerns". I consider the possibility that a bug can cause me to lose my data to be a "security concern". If it's a cosmetic bug or something that otherwise does not affect a feature I use, then upgrading, as you say, is very much of a x.y+1 wait than upgrading minor releases sometimes multiple times a month.

It must be remembered that human error can result in downtime, which can cost money. Therefore its a foo risk vs bar risk type balance. At least, that's how I see it.