Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Optimizing warm standby. Will this work? [PITR WAL]

Dhaval Shah wrote:
The optimization step I am looking for is as follows, instead of doing
a tar/gzip of the data directory, I am planning to do a pg_dumpall of
the primary. That is, the new steps will be:

0. Ensure that no application connects to the db.
1. On the primary, do a pg_dumpall

That way, I figure I do not have to move the entire data directory
around. I just need the base schema and data contents. The question
is, will the above setup work? Any gotchas?

Won't work - the WAL refers to disk blocks, not primary keys etc. You need the actual disk files.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd