Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Native type for storing fractions (e.g 1/3)?

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:11:23PM +0100, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
You'd need a type for large integers first - otherwise your
ty_fraction will be quite limited. I think numeric could be
used for that, though I don't know if numeric guarantees that
at least the operators +,-,* and modulo return exact results
(Don't loose digits). But even if they do, using some existing
library for arbitrary sized integers would probably lead to
better performance.

Numeric is an arbitrary sized number library, so using that would be
smart.
Yeah, but it can do much more than just arbitrary sizes integers -
so I figured a library doing just integers might do them faster then
the numeric support in postgres does, or more space-efficient, or whatever...

It would only make sense to use a different library if it provides
a substantial advantage in speed or space, of course.

greetings, Florian Pflug