Search Postgresql Archives

Re: php professional

You're probably right. A good example of that is the difference between the excellent pgadmin and the desktop mysql administrator which is very buggy and strangely laid out. Whenever I have to deal with mysql I get the feeling I'm messing around with a bunch of hacks. It's very strange to deal with. Simple things like just granting access to a database you have to issue perhaps 3 different commands some from the os command line, some from the db interperter. I think people who understand the importance of administrative simplicity probably also make good coders and vice versa.

Scott Marlowe wrote:
I wasn't referring to projects written in both languages.  I was
referring to projects written primarily for MySQL or "real" databases
(i.e. oracle, pgsql, mssql, db2, and on and on).  No matter what
language is used, I think you'll find that apps written primarily for
mysql have poorer code than the ones written primarily for other apps. The ones that are truly transportable will generally be the best, but if
they try to support MySQL AND the other real databases, you'll likely
find lots of hacks in the code to keep MySQL happy, that wouldn't be
needed if they didn't support it.

Does that make more sense?