Search Postgresql Archives

Re: number of tables limited over time (not simultaneous)?

dave crane wrote:
We've settled upon a method for gathering raw statistics from widely scattered data centers of creating one sequence per-event, per minute.

Aside from security concerns, did we miss something? Should I be worried we're going through ~60,000 sequences per day?

Well, you'll want to make sure you're vacuuming the system tables regularly. And you might want to make sure your code can retry creating the sequences once OIDs wrap around.

Not sure I'd have thought of doing things this way - I'd probably have totalled figures outside the database and then summarised them once a minute.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd