Search Postgresql Archives

Cursor timeout in postgres

Hi all

When examining strange behaviour in one of my programs I found out that I must have somehow gotten into a timeout situation when fetching rows from a cursor. My program read the first row, did some stuff for six minutes and then tried to fetch the second row, which failed. The connection however was still alive and further database access in the program worked m'kay.

While I think the responsible component made a good decision to timeout after 5 minutes of inactivity, I still wonder who bit me.

My program was written in php, using the odbc interface and the odbc driver from postgres compiled against 8.1.5 libpg, accessing a 8.1.5 database (all on the same machine, on linux 32bit). I have not perfomed any relevant tweaking in the config files (apart from php.ini).

Has anybody got the quick answer?

Tim