Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PG Email Client

DBMail is an interesting concept, but I think the real advantage would be if there were a client that could take advantage of the power of a database backend.

For example, instead of saving a copy of an email in 1 folder, the same email could be indexed to multiple folders. Current email clients mimic file cabinets too much in that the system considers an email to be a physical entity that can only be stored in one place. Searching for emails can also be done much faster with a database then with a traditional mail client approach.

However, to start out with, using dbmail imap with current email clients might be a great idea. Then the users will not even know that anything has changed, and I can basically build the client that I want directly into my ERP.

Sim

Well "client" would be the wrong approach imho, but there
is for example dbmail which can use postgres as storage
for mail and opens a lot of the usecases above. You would
continue to use your MUA for reading mail but some of the
mails could be handled by your application directly.

Regards
Tino

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq