Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Stats collector frozen?

Magnus Hagander <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> "Jeremy Haile" <jhaile@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> Do you know of any workaround other than restarting the whole server?
>>> Can the collector be restarted individually?

> You can use pg_ctl to send the int signal. If it's completely hung, that
> may not work. In that case you can kill it from task manager, but that's
> equiv of a kill -9, which means that the postmaster will restart all
> backends.

No, the postmaster does not care how badly the stats collector croaks,
because the collector's not connected to shared memory, so there's no
risk of collateral damage.  It'll just start a new one without bothering
the backends.  So you can do whatever you have to do to kill the stuck
collector --- I was just not sure how to do that under Windows.

			regards, tom lane