Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database versus filesystem for storing images

This is a web app, so in my example all of the images live on a web server, and our data lives on a separate database server. We have a completely duplicated setup offsite, and mirror images of every server at the backup site. Every night we use rsync to duplicate everything offsite. Also, a cron job pg_dumps every night and copies the dump over to the backup DB server.

And before anybody gives me any guff, our office is in New Orleans, and we went through Katrina with less than an hour of downtime, and without losing anything. So there ;)

Jorge Godoy wrote:

John McCawley <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Don't store your images in the database.  Store them on the filesystem and
store their path in the database.  Anyone that tells you otherwise is a stark
raving madman :)

My system is very heavily used, and our pg_dump is only a few gigs.  Meanwhile
our images/documents storage is well over a hundred gigs.  I'd hate to think
that I'd have to dump and restore 100 gigs every time I wanted to dump the
newest data to the development database.

How do you plan your backup routine and how do you guarantee that on a failure
all needed data is restored?  I mean, how do you handle integrity with data
outside the database?