Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Need help on "org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL:

Wong Jowo wrote:
Hello,I'm using JSP for accessing postgre
My postgre version is 8.1 running on suse enterprise 10 linux machine.
My JSP container is Apache Tomcat 5.5.
My connection method is JNDI(pooling).
Recently I'm having trouble after my web application is being accessed by
many users.
My error log shows something like this :
======================================
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: terminating connection due to
administrator command
[snip stack of java exception msgs]
=======================================

It seems that the exception came from Postgre :
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: terminating connection due to
administrator command

What do the PostgreSQL logs say (oh, and it's PostgreSQL or perhaps Postgres, not "Postgre")? For that matter, what do the system logs say? What was the system load at the time?

I'm assuming you haven't got any code that disconnects backends directly.

What's this ? I've tried to googling around and found something about
resource limiter or something like that, but I don't seems understand the
solution.
Is there any straight forward solution for my trouble here ? Cause I got
really stuck here.
How to configure postgre to fix this ?

I'm guessing that what's happening is you're running out of memory on the machine and the Linux out-of-memory (oom) killer is killing processes at random (and hitting PostgreSQL).

You'll either need to limit the number of concurrent connections, reduce the memory usage of PostgreSQL or your other applicatons or add more memory. To be honest, if you're running out of memory then performance is going to be horrible anyway.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd