Search Postgresql Archives

Re: function accepting and returning rows; how to avoid

Merlin Moncure wrote:
On 12/13/06, Kevin Murphy <murphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to have a function that acts as a row filter (that can
optionally expand each row into multiple rows), but I don't know how to
wangle this such that the output is not enclosed in parentheses, i.e.
what I'm getting now is a single column of a composite type instead of
multiple columns matching the original table layout.

functions defined in the sql language (as opposed to pl/pgsql) allow
you to call them without explicitly using from...if you want to
expand, just select from your result as you would expand any row
variable. basically, have you tried:

select (explode(sometable.*)).* from sometable;

Thanks a lot. You must have been puzzled that I got so close and failed to figure it out. I hadn't really understood the {row}.* notation. In the meantime I did an end run with an insert trigger, but at least I understand this now.

-Kevin