Search Postgresql Archives

Re: function accepting and returning rows; how to avoid parentheses

On 12/13/06, Kevin Murphy <murphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to have a function that acts as a row filter (that can
optionally expand each row into multiple rows), but I don't know how to
wangle this such that the output is not enclosed in parentheses, i.e.
what I'm getting now is a single column of a composite type instead of
multiple columns matching the original table layout.

-- SQL front-end for filter function
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION explode(sometable) RETURNS SETOF sometable as $$
SELECT * FROM foo($1) AS t;
$$ LANGUAGE SQL STRICT IMMUTABLE;

select explode(sometable.*) from sometable;
  explode
-----------
 (A,1)
 (A,1)
 (B,2)
 (B,2)

functions defined in the sql language (as opposed to pl/pgsql) allow
you to call them without explicitly using from...if you want to
expand, just select from your result as you would expand any row
variable. basically, have you tried:

select (explode(sometable.*)).* from sometable;

merlin