Search Postgresql Archives

pg_dump: a way to not dump indexes and other objects, or a way to not create them on restore, feature request?

Hi all,

Since PITR works well, my use of pg_dump has shifted. Rather than using it as a backup tool, I now use it as a snapshotting tool. At the end of each month we do an ASCII dump to keep around, so if we ever need to, we can see the data as it was any number of months or years ago. Not a backup at all, just a raw data archive.

These archives do not need to hold all our data, for example, system logs would be useless later. There also is no reason to include indexes. Ignoring extranious tables and indexes is a great way to keep the archive small and keep the time to restore as low as possible.

So, it would be great if pg_dump could accept some sort of argument to make it simply not dump certain types of objects. Indexes, views, functions, etc.

Thx for considering :-)

-Glen Parker