Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Male/female

Steve Crawford wrote:

Of course this breaks apart when dealing with that very rare syndrome
(name escapes me) where the child appears female at birth but is
actually a male whose male sex-organs descend and appear at puberty so I
guess we need to add apparent_sex_at_birth.

It turns out there are lots of ways apparent and genetic gender can differ - some experts estimate that as many as 2% of all births do not fall within strict definitions of M/F, although many might never be discovered. That and the increasing number of elective transsexuals argues that the kind of discussion we're having now may be de rigueur for DBAs in the future, at least in the medical field.

- John Burger
  MITRE