Search Postgresql Archives

Re: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem

To recover disk space, reindex the heavily updated tables. You can do this while the database is in production.

Check the REINDEX command.

John

Schwenker, Stephen wrote:
Hello,
I'm having a major Vacuuming problem. I used to do a full vacuum every
morning on my postgres database to clean up empty space on a table but
because of it's size, the locking of the database causes my application
server to max out the database connections and causes database errors.
To fix that problem, I have turned off the full vacuum and are just
doing a standard analyze vacuum.  No I'm getting very close to running
out of space on my disks because the table keeps on growing and the
database is not re-using deleted record space.  I know this because I
delete 99% of the records from the table after I have exported them but
the size of the database tables are not decreasing.  Now I can't shrink
the size of the tables because the full vacuum takes too long to run
Over 2 hours and locks the table for too long.
Can anyone help me with fixing my problem with vacuuming and disk space? I'm using version 7.4.2 on solaris. Thank you, Steve.