Search Postgresql Archives

Re: HELP: Urgent, Vacuum problem

"Schwenker, Stephen" <SSchwenker@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> To fix that problem, I have turned off the full vacuum and are just
> doing a standard analyze vacuum.

Good.

> No I'm getting very close to running
> out of space on my disks because the table keeps on growing and the
> database is not re-using deleted record space.  I know this because I
> delete 99% of the records from the table after I have exported them but
> the size of the database tables are not decreasing.

Standard vacuum isn't really intended to decrease table size, but to
help you maintain it at a steady state.  If you're re-using the same
tables this should be OK though.  It sounds to me like you need to raise
your FSM size to let the database track all the free space.  You should
also consider vacuuming more often than once a day.

> I'm using version 7.4.2 on solaris.

You *really* need to update.

			regards, tom lane