Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs

Well, to be fair, I was using fairly low-level functionality. If you look at the screenshot from my app, I am just using the raw window class and handling all of the dragging etc. manually. In addition, my foreign key drawing is handled by directly painting on the background, and my own click and drag handling, so it is pretty sensitive to nuanced differences in behaviors in the platforms. It is worth noting, however, that the QT4 version, which is implemented very similarly, works fine (although I am allowing QT to handle window dragging and resizing).

In wxWidgets, all of my dragging, window placement, foreign key drawing, etc. were so hopelessly broken in windows that the app was completely unusable...It was even difficult to tell what was supposed to be going on. I dug around in the code quite a bit, but the low-level behaviors I was getting in Windows were so different than in wxGTK that I just decided that my approach was flawed.

Even in QT4 I am having to revise my approach. I am currently using an MDI window interface for everything, and doing my foreign key drawing low-level as I was before. I plan on moving to the (brand new) QT4 canvas widget, which is intended for user-created window behaviors like this. Sometimes I think that I would have been better off rendering the whole UI in OpenGL or something :P

Ritesh Nadhani wrote:

Hello

I have been working with wxWidgets and I didnt face a problem. What
specific thing were broken in wxWidgets for Windows?

Ritesh