Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Major Performance decrease after some hours

2006/10/1, Chris Mair <chrisnospam@xxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

a few random question...

> > i have a Tomcat application with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 running which
> > performs about 10000 inserts/deletes every 2-4 minutes and updates on
> > a database and after some hours of loadtesting the top output says
> > 0.0% idle, 6-7% system load, load average 32, 31, 28

Who is responsible for this high load values?
Do you see many postmaster processes at the top?

yes, there are about 10 postmaster processes in top which eat up all
of the CPU cycles at equal parts.

>  and there are
> > many exceptions at statement execution like:
> > An I/O error occured while sending to the backend.

Is this from the application?

Yes, this happens when the sql statements are executed.

How many connections does the application open in parallel?

30-40, one tomcat runs on the same machine as PostgreSQL, another runs
on the other cluster and uses the database via network.

Using JDBC, I guess?

yes, postgresql-8.1-407.jdbc3 is used

> > - Each Cluster has 4 drbd Devices, one for the PostgreSQL data
> > - Two of these clusters are using the same PostgreSQL installation to
> > share the data, the database can be moved from one cluster to the
> > other in case of failure

Just to be 100% sure: just one server at a time runs PostgreSQL on
that shared data disk, right?

One server of a cluster runs the database and the tomcat, the other
one just runs tomcat, so they share this common database.

Bye,
Chris.

thx,
Peter