Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Major Performance decrease after some hours

Hi,

a few random question...

> > i have a Tomcat application with PostgreSQL 8.1.4 running which
> > performs about 10000 inserts/deletes every 2-4 minutes and updates on
> > a database and after some hours of loadtesting the top output says
> > 0.0% idle, 6-7% system load, load average 32, 31, 28

Who is responsible for this high load values?
Do you see many postmaster processes at the top?

>  and there are
> > many exceptions at statement execution like:
> > An I/O error occured while sending to the backend.

Is this from the application?
How many connections does the application open in parallel?
Using JDBC, I guess?

> > - Each Cluster has 4 drbd Devices, one for the PostgreSQL data
> > - Two of these clusters are using the same PostgreSQL installation to
> > share the data, the database can be moved from one cluster to the
> > other in case of failure

Just to be 100% sure: just one server at a time runs PostgreSQL on
that shared data disk, right?

Bye,
Chris.