Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is this logical?

Stephan,

But "not null" is in contradiction with "default null" so the create
statement should not proceed successfuly IMHO.

Regards,
Behi

On 9/10/06, Stephan Szabo <sszabo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:

> Shouldn't this create statement trigger an error?
>
>   create table bar (col1 int not null default null);
>
> Shouldn't I be forbidden to insert null values into a non null column?

I think it should forbid it when the default actually comes into play like
on insert or update, but not at create table time as there are no rows for
which the constraint fails.

For example after that:
sszabo=# insert into bar default values;
ERROR:  null value in column "col1" violates not-null constraint

--
"We can only see a short distance ahead,
but we can see plenty there

"Science is a differential equation. Religion
is a boundary condition" - Alan Turing

Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa
http://my.opera.com/behrangsa