Search Postgresql Archives

Re: plz unsubscribe me

Bill Moran wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Bill Moran wrote:
Instructions are in the mail headers of each message:
Actually it is quite ridiculous that we expect someone to read the mail headers.

I don't find it so.  That's like saying it's ridiculous to expect the
average auto owner to change the oil every 3000 miles.  Reading headers

Uhh... no. A better analogy would be:

expecting an average postgresql user to vacuum

Which is completely different then expecting the average user to have a clue or care what an email header is. Email headers are part of the source code of email, not part of the usage to users (man that sounds weird).

isn't a terribly esoteric thing to do.  I taught an "intro to email" class
back in 2000 and spent about 5 minutes explaining headers and what they
meant.  The students didn't have any difficulty grasping the concept, and
I got the impression that they found the information enlightening.

All due respect, but you are the 2% of the 98%. Not a common user, frankly no common DBA should ever have to read email headers, ever. That is what an systems administrator is for (sometimes, yes they are one and the same).