Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to use the full text index feature on PostgreSQL

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
Chris wrote:
aBBISh wrote:
You need to install & setup tsearch2.

I have a small article about how to do that here:

http://www.designmagick.com/article/27/
Also on page 3 you say, "(normal indexes will only index the first 255 characters of a 'text' field)."

Is that true?
I thought it was the first 8k? There is also an article here:

http://www.devx.com/opensource/Article/21674/1954?pf=true

Neither is true.  If you create an index on a text column, and that
column contains a row above the size limit, an error will result.
There's no mechanism in place to truncate what's indexed in order to
make it fit the maximum index tuple size; you can do it yourself using
an expressional index if you want, of course.

The maximum is a bit above 2kB (assuming 8kB pages), but keep in mind
that some stuff is compressed before being indexed, so the actual data
length may be higher.

Thanks for the tips. I've fixed them up in the article :)

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/