Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Not so much load balancing as load limits

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:22:20AM -0400, Kenneth Downs wrote:
> I'm having some trouble getting a google hit on this topic, and the docs
> aren't doing much for me.
>
> What I'm wondering is, how do I limit any particular postgres operation,
> in particular a long-running batch operation with lots of inserts, from
> bogging down a server?
>
> This is not so much a question of how to code the SQL, as it is how to
> keep a selfish process from causing a self-inflicted DoS situation.
>
> Can anybody get me pointed in the right direction with a link or two?
> Thanks.

Right now, you basically don't. :( Unless you manually break your
operation up into multiple steps.

There is a lot of discussion on bizgres-general right now about
statement queuing, which migth help in your case.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx