Search Postgresql Archives

Not so much load balancing as load limits

I'm having some trouble getting a google hit on this topic, and the docs aren't doing much for me.

What I'm wondering is, how do I limit any particular postgres operation, in particular a long-running batch operation with lots of inserts, from bogging down a server?

This is not so much a question of how to code the SQL, as it is how to keep a selfish process from causing a self-inflicted DoS situation. Can anybody get me pointed in the right direction with a link or two? Thanks.
begin:vcard
fn:Kenneth  Downs
n:Downs;Kenneth
email;internet:ken@xxxxxxxxxx