Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Adding foreign key constraints without integrity

On 6/22/06 2:57 PM, "Jim Nasby" <jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If nothing else, you should bring it up on -hackers and ask to have
> this added as a TODO. It seems like a worth-while addition to pg_dump/
> restore to me...

Thanks for the suggestion.

> To answer another of your emails in this thread... a LAZY vacuum of
> the entire database will read every table and index in the database.
> Wanting to read the entire database to check for corruption is no
> reason to do a VACUUM FULL.

Sorry, I misspoke.  I do not do a VACUUM FULL.  I do a VACUUM VERBOSE
ANALYZE on a weekly basis.  The verbose allows me to see which
tables/indexes are getting bad (vacuum time wise).  This is currently taking
about 24 hours on a weekend (very little production load competing with it).
The time drops dramatically after a reindex, then creeps up again as the
indexes are updated in random order.

> Also, if you're curious about restore
> time for your upgrade, you should be doing the restore to an 8.1.4
> database, not to your current version. There's been a ton of
> performance improvements made. In fact, I'm wondering if constraint
> checking in restore has been improved...

Yes, that is what I did.  I'm in the process of testing an upgrade from
7.3.x to 8.1.4 - export from 7.3.x and import into 8.1.4.  Unfortunately,
I'm sitting at about 90 hours when I've got about an 80 hour window on a
long weekend...

Wes