Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Return the primary key of a newly inserted row?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advice, it saves me continuing to dig in the help files and my reference books any longer. I don't know how much help I could be in adding features but I am glad to participate in any way I can in the community. I will follow your link to the TODO pages.

Thanks again.

Regards

John

Tim Allen wrote:
John Tregea wrote:
Greeting again,

I am writing records to postgreSQL from an IDE called revolution. At the time I perform the INSERT command I need to retrieve the value of the serial_id column from the newly created row.

Is it possible to have a specified column value returned after the INSERT (rather than the number of rows affected) ?

That would save me doing a SELECT select statement after every INSERT.

Please excuse the terminology if it is not SQL'esque, but I hope you know what I am getting at.

Thanks in advance

John Tregea

It's not supported now, however it has been discussed several times, and there is a TODO entry for it at

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html

using syntax along the lines of INSERT ... RETURNING ...

Search for the word "returning" in the todo list and you'll find the entry. Your options include waiting for someone to make it happen (no telling how long that will be), or helping to make it happen (for which we would all thank you :-) ). In the meantime you'll have to work around it, as you suggested.

Tim