Search Postgresql Archives

Return the primary key of a newly inserted row?

Greeting again,

I am writing records to postgreSQL from an IDE called revolution. At the time I perform the INSERT command I need to retrieve the value of the serial_id column from the newly created row.

Is it possible to have a specified column value returned after the INSERT (rather than the number of rows affected) ?

That would save me doing a SELECT select statement after every INSERT.

Please excuse the terminology if it is not SQL'esque, but I hope you know what I am getting at.

Thanks in advance

John Tregea