Search Postgresql Archives

Re: List of countries (WAS: National Number to text conversion)

brian ally wrote:

Thanks, Nis. Here's my revised list, using those (errors of letter-case entirely my own, owing to my hazy understanding of capitilisation for hyphenated french nouns):

With the risk of getting horribly off topic, you may want to be consistent between the languages in whether you use the "official" name or the "common" name.

In general, this problem arises in cases where the official name is controversial ("TAÏWAN, PROVINCE DE CHINE"), much longer than the common one ("IRAN, RÉPUBLIQUE ISLAMIQUE D'"), differs in spelling from the common form ("VIET NAM") or is less likely to be immediately recognized ("KOREA, REPUBLIC OF").

/Nis