Search Postgresql Archives

Re: GUI Interface

Hi,

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

Christopher Browne wrote:
Also most DBAs are not hard core OSS programmers and anyone coming
from a commercial system is more than likely used to running the
admin tools on windows.

We have a whole department of DBAs, *none* of whom have Microsoft on
their desktops.

Further, the Big, Important Systems that we administer consciously
hide behind firewalls such that the user interface Shall Be Usable Via
SSH.

Purty graphical tools just don't appear on our radar as being
interesting.

well, ssh has for a long time the option to forward ports to
you. So this isnt really an argument pro/con gui tools :-)

Personally I find psql for some and pgadmin3 for other
tasks used the same time a good couple.

I have yet to see a graphical tool that will manage our schema and schema change scripts as efficiently and reliably as vim and cvs.

We do sometimes use ssh port forwarding to run scripts,reports and schema changes on remote databases only accessible via ssh.

I only use pgadmin3 if I need a quick look at a database I am not familiar with. If I need a deeper look I dump the schema and browse it with vim.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                       ck@xxxxxxxxx