Search Postgresql Archives

Re: GUI Interface

Tony Caduto wrote:
Jim Wilson wrote:

Those Windows developer tools must be working really well
How right you are Jim, far superior and more productive than anything available on Linux at this time, though the netbeans IDE comes close, to bad Java is slow for
almost all desktop applications.
One example is LimeWire, while it works well, it takes forever to load and
the UI seems a little sluggish compared to a native compiled application.

You live in an interesting world... meanwhile, I'm here in the real world, using Eclipse - the best IDE I've ever used to develop java applications. Oh, wait, Eclipse is written in Java? I didn't think it was possible to write good apps in java? Certainly better than visual studio (and yes, I have to use both - eclipse is a far better IDE in my opinion). Oh, and I can run eclipse on my linux desktop as well as my windows desktop? Thats just cool. Oh, and my next machine? Definitely a Mac. And it woks there too - just like all of my SWT apps do.

I will admit, it is rather easy to write slow java swing applications There are a lot of poor ones out there. Its a shame that Sun botched swing so badly, and have never repaired it properly. Its not impossible to write fast, responsive apps in swing, it just takes skilled developers. And its a pain.

However, now with the emergence of SWT and modern JVM's - there is no reason for your java GUI to be any slower than anything else. The only excuse for a slow java app these days is the quality of the code that it is built with. And you can write a bad, slow app in any language.

Oh, and to get back on topic a bit more - DBVisualizer is also a nice database GUI (written in Java, by the way) that is very fast, responsive, and cross platform.

http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/

Its also rather handy if you have to deal with 5 different types of databases on a daily basis, since it handles them all.

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust