Search Postgresql Archives

Re: psql is slow and it does not take much resources

Javier de la Torre wrote:
Great! Then there will be no problems.

I would use COPY but I think I can not. While moving from MySQL to
PostgreSQL I am also transforming a pair of fields, latitude,
longitude, into a geometry field, POINT, that is understood for
Potgis. I though I will not be able to use COPY when inserting data
with functions.
I definitely recommend using copy if you are inserting a large amount of data into postgis. we use something like the following python code to read from a csv file and insert into pgsql. I can't remember the rate it works at but it was much quicker than anything else we tried.

def insertData( header, delimiter, filename, table, SRID, dbname, user, host ):

   f = open(filename, 'r')

   # Open a new process to enter data (~10x faster than psycopg)
process = os.popen('psql %s %s -c "COPY %s (geom, elevation) from stdin;" -h %s' % (dbname, user, table, host), "w") for a in f:
       unpackline = a[:-1].split(delimiter)
       easting, northing, elevation = unpackline
process.write("SRID=%s;POINT(%s %s)\t%s\n" %( SRID, easting, northing, elevation))

   f.close()
   process.close()

Hope that helps,

Joe