Search Postgresql Archives

Re: psql is slow and it does not take much resources

Great! Then there will be no problems.

I would use COPY but I think I can not. While moving from MySQL to
PostgreSQL I am also transforming a pair of fields, latitude,
longitude, into a geometry field, POINT, that is understood for
Potgis. I though I will not be able to use COPY when inserting data
with functions.

Thanks again all.

Javier.

On 5/3/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 04:28:10PM +0200, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> However, I'm wondering if there's a practical limit to how many rows you
> can insert within one transaction?

There's a limit of (I think) 2-4 billion commands per transaction. Each
command can insert any number of tuples.

So if you're doing one tuple per command that limits you to a few
billion inserts per transaction. Ofcourse, COPY is always faster
still...

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@xxxxxxxxx>   http://svana.org/kleptog/