Search Postgresql Archives

Re: sudo-like behavior

Sorry, but you misunderstand- nowhere am I interested in the role's password. My previous suggestion was to add a password to set session authorization itself so that if the authorization were to be reset, it would need to be done with that password; the password itself could be machine-generated. It it would merely allow a secure sandbox to be established between:

SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION somerole WITH PASSWORD 'abc';
--arbitrary SQL run as somerole
RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION; --fails- requires password
RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION WITH PASSWORD 'pass'; --fails
RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION WITH PASSWORD 'abc'; --succeeds- we are done with this role

The password ensures that the session authorization initiator is the only one that can terminate it as well.

-M