Search Postgresql Archives

Re: sudo-like behavior

I really haven't provided enough details- my fault. What I want to accomplish is a general-purpose timer facility for postgresql. Ideally, arbitrary roles provide statements to run at certain intervals. The benefit here is that the user connections can go away and only a single timer connection is maintained (waiting on notifications to update).

Examples of where this could be useful:
1) simulated materialized views
2) daily tasks such as cache cleanup/refresh/updates
3) expensive tasks which run regularly

Arbitrary statements could be executed on a timed basis without needing local access for crontab or persistent remote access.

Anyway, here is the table:
CREATE TABLE pgtimer._timer
(
	id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
	repeats INTEGER NOT NULL, --repeats X times as countdown
	lastfired TIMESTAMP,

	waitinterval INTERVAL, --OR
specialeventid INTEGER REFERENCES pgtimer.specialevent, --various special events such as startup, autovacuum, or notifications
	detail TEXT, --stores notification event name if applicable
	statement TEXT NOT NULL,
	asrole TEXT NOT NULL
);

A separate view with rules handles insert/update capabilities and throws a notification so that the daemon is notified to refresh its countdown to the next event. The actual statement execution is all I have left to do. I could force users to define security definer functions but then vacuuming capability is lost (autovacuum can't handle everything).

If there is an architecture change I could make to rectify this, I am all ears. Thanks!

-M