Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module

"Leif B. Kristensen" <leif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Saturday 08 April 2006 01:21, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
>>Debian a niche distribution? I'd hardly call the defacto standard
>>GNU Linux distribution a "niche"...
>
> Surely, Debian is "niche". Why else should there be a need for
> distributions like Gentoo?
>
> I once tried to run Debian, and asked for help on some probably
> elementary question on the Debian users list. All I got in the way of
> help was "read the f*ing manual". Sure, very helpful indeed. Later, I
> installed Gentoo and was positively amazed at the level of help you
> would get on the Gentoo-forum. I never looked back to Debian.

You can dislike it all you want (and I'm not saying you don't have
reason to), but Debian is *not* "niche".  There are a *lot* of servers
out there running it, and it's also the basis for Ubuntu, which by
itself is at least as popular as Gentoo from what I can see.

On the server side, I'd put Debian in the top three along with RH and
SuSE.  Even if the mailing lists are unfriendly.

But we're wandering off-topic.  :)

-Doug