Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module

Tyler MacDonald wrote:

Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But the way Douglas' message read, it was only GPL packages that should
be affected, and we're not GPL.  Or did I or Douglas misunderstand the
situation?

	It's freeradius that's GPL. Then we break GPL rules by importing
OpenSSL. Guilt by association. :)
IANAL, but this seems pretty problematic an interpretation of the GPL.

By this interpretation, coding a connector against UNIX ODBC would be OK, but the user would be forbidden to use ODBC drivers that link against OpenSSL. I cannot therefore imagine a circumstance where the parent GPL application could be considered a dirivative work.

Indeed indirect linking is a pretty common GPL dodge, given NVidia's approach to drivers.

What really seems to be happening here is that the Debian community seems to be taking a stand which has little to do with the wording of the GPL and more of an issue of "we don't like what NVidia is doing wrt Linux drivers, so we are going to implement a policy that prevents it." We are, unfortunately, caught in the crossfire.

My own opinion is this: The Debian crowd are often technical enough they can build whatever they want from source. Debian is a niche distribution and not something we should spend too much time worrying about whether our software can be indirectly linked with GPL apps on their site.

BTW, does this also mean that no GNU Readline is available in the Debian versions of psql? Or am I missing something?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting