Search Postgresql Archives

Re: can't create user collumn

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, loki wrote:

> Hi,
> i'm just starting with postgres DB, but this looks very strange to me:
>
> If i try to create table with collumn user, it fails with error:
> create exec error:ERROR:  syntax error at or near "user" at character 368

USER is a reserved word in SQL and as such cannot be used as a non-quoted
identifier so "user" (with the quotes) should work, however you'd probably
have to use the quotes in all cases. Technically, we allow some reserved
words as non-quoted identifiers in some places, however to be compliant to
spec you cannot use any of the reserved words that way.