Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pgsql variables from records

In article <441AD636.6090009@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> SunWuKung wrote:
> > Select Into max_option parameter_value From parameters Where methodid=
> > 999 And parameter_name='max_option'
> >
> > and so on for each parameter.
> >
> > Is there a way to get all these parameters into one variable in pgsql -
> > eg. Select Into paramarray(param_name, param_value) parameter_name,
> > parameter_value Where methodid=999 - and refer to their values in a
> > simple way like param_array.max_option ?
>
> Have a look at using a variable of type RECORD. See the plpgsql
> documentation for examples.

This sounds very promising, but I have looked at the RECORD variable
type, and found no example that would show how I could use it the way I
described.
In order to get the value of rec.max_option I would first need to
dynamically create a record variable in which all the param_name values
of the original recordset are columns and contain the corresponding
param_value. I found no example how to do this - could you direct me to
one?

Thanks.
Balázs