Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Does this look ethical to you?

Dave Page wrote:

There most certainly are companies making money from pgAdmin, including
at least 2 of the most well known large PostgreSQL companies. In
addition to potentially hurting them, you are trading off our long
established name, which to add insult to injury you haven't even spelt
or formatted correctly (it is, and has always been pgAdmin)!

Hi Dave,
Those companies simply bundle pgAdmin III, they don't sell it, there is a big difference. I know for a fact the ones you are talking about and the version they bundle have no changes over the stock one at all.

I don't think mentioning a product as a alternative to pgAdmin III is wrong since pgAdmin III has such a big advantage being distributed with the Windows version of Postgresql. It almost has monopoly written on it since the user is not given any idea that there is anything else available. At least you are not forced to install it, but still a HUGE,HUGE advantage over any other competing product.

pgAdmin does not play fair either, if you want to talk fair maybe a link should be placed in the windows pgAdmin installer informing users of other comercially available options.

Thanks for the heads up on the spelling, I was not aware it was spelled like that.

Later,

Tony

--
Tony Caduto