Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Top 10 Wishlist

Tom Lane wrote:

Please go back and read the very extensive discussions of this question
a couple years ago in the pghackers archives (around the time we were
implementing DROP COLUMN, iirc).  There is no "just" about it.

Maybe we need a easy button like in those Staples commercials :-)

So it's a real big deal to add another column to pg_attribute and populate it once with the same value as attnum when a column is added to a table? The attorder wouldn't really have to do anything except allow the developer to sort on that instead of attnum, and then we could just change the values in attorder to get the visual ordering we want.

I understand everyone wants a big fancy elegant solution, but maybe something simple is all that is needed.

I am not a C or C++ developer and I don't intend to take it up anytime soon, so I can't really comment on what it would really "just" take, but hey we are just talking here right?

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design