Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Top 10 Wishlist

 > It would definately be nice if the end-user concept of column order
wasn't tied to the physical order in the database.

Ok this may be over simplistic, but we have a attnum for the physical order, why not just add a attorder and then we could just change that numbering and order by that field instead of attnum?

That is exactly how Firebird does it.

I first started to develop FB Lightning Admin and when I discovered Postgresql I immediately switched :-), so that's how I know how Firebird does things.

The whole re ordering thing is purely for organization are readability, but it's something that is asked for by many peope using PG admin tools.

It can be done now, but it's a huge PITA...the whole creating a new table with the right order, copying the data to the new table, recreating all contrainsts,indexes,triggers etc,dropping the original table etc makes me shudder..

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design