Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Doug McNaught wrote:

Furthermore, whenever you use pg_dump or pg_dumpall, you need to redirect
it to a file:

$ pg_dumpall > /var/tmp/backup.sql

  I was just about to try this; it seemed the way to go.

I highly suggest you read:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup.html

  Will do. Also, just downloaded the 8.1 pdf manual(s).

Since it looks like you have both old and new data directories, you might
be able to get the old server running again, dump out the data and load it
into the new server. Depends on whether your old binaries got blown away by
the upgrade.

  Yes, they are gone. I can uninstall the 8.1.2 and restore everything from
the backup tape. Perhaps I'll hear from the Slackware packager about this.

PG is a bit tricky to upgrade and I haven't yet seen a distro upgrade
script that works really well.

  It is the "bit tricky" part that has put me off before now. I've also
absolutely no objection to building from source, either, but a pre-built
package for my distribution seemed quicker and easier. Guess where I blew it
was not redirecting the original pg_dumpall to the file.

  Using the 8.1.2 pg_dumpall from the 2004 data directory produces a 819K
file. But, when I then cd to the new data directory and run:

postgres@salmo:/var/lib/pgsql/data$ pg_restore /var/tmp/backup.sql
pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

However, the file is readable and looks to have all the databases and tables
in it. Perhaps I'm closer now?

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"