Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Doug McNaught wrote:

pg_dumpall writes to standard output, so you should have seen an enormous
spew of data at your terminal. I'm surprised you didn't. The manpages in
the official Postgres documentation are quite clear about the behavior of
these utilities; your book doesn't seem to be.

Doug,

  Well, it was not an enormous spew, but the data did scroll by on the
terminal.

This preserves the old data and binaries so you can back out if you need
to. Naturally you need enough disk space for three copies of the data.

  That's not an issue. Small data sets and sufficient disk space.

Now, since you're using a distribution's packages and upgrade procedure,
it's not clear what happened to your data. You might want to look at the
server logfiles (if any) and ask on the Slackware mailing lists to see if
anyone else has had this problem.

  I did write to the package's author, too. I can restore the old version
from the backup tape if need be.

  Well, so much for the book. It did seem to be rather sparse on the upgrade.
Hmmm-m-m. Wonder what is the most efficient way to get going again. Think
I'll try the 'pg_dumpall -format=c' from the old directory and see if there's
a new file there.

Many thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"