Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "incomplete startup packet" on SGI

David Rysdam wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:

David Rysdam <drysdam@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Just finished building and installing on *Sun* (also "--without-readline", not that I think that could be the issue): Works fine. So it's something to do with the SGI build in particular.

More likely it's something to do with weird behavior of the SGI kernel's
TCP stack.  I did a little googling for "transport endpoint is not
connected" without turning up anything obviously related, but that or
ENOTCONN is probably what you need to search on.

            regards, tom lane

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

It's acting like a race condition or pointer problem. When I add random debug printfs/PQflushs to libpq it sometimes works.
      match

Not a race condition: No threads
Not a memory leak: Electric fence says nothing. And it works when electric fence is running, whereas a binary that uses the same libpq without linking efence does not work.

I know nobody is interested in this, but I think I should document the "solution" for anyone who finds this thread in the archives: My theory is that Irix is unable to keep up with how fast the postgresql client is going and that the debug statements/efence stuff are slowing it down enough that Irix can catch up and make sure the socket really is there, connected and working. To that end, I inserted a sleep(1) in fe-connect.c just before the pqPacketSend(...startpacket...) stuff. It's stupid and hacky, but gets me where I need to be and maybe this hint will inspire somebody who knows (and cares) about Irix to find a real fix.