Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "incomplete startup packet" on SGI

Just finished building and installing on *Sun* (also "--without-readline", not that I think that could be the issue): Works fine. So it's something to do with the SGI build in particular.

David Rysdam wrote:

I have a working 8.1 server running on Linux and I can connect to it from other Linux clients. I built postgresql 8.1 on an SGI (using --without-readline but otherwise stock) and it compiled OK and installed fine. But when I try to connect to the Linux server I get "could not send startup packet: transport endpoint is not connected" on the client end and "incomplete startup packet" on the server end. Connectivity between the two machines is working.

I could find basically no useful references to the former and the only references to the latter were portscans and the like.

Browsing the source, I see a couple places that message could come from. One relates to SSL, which the output from configure says is turned off on both client and server. The other is just a generic comm error--but would could cause a partial failure like that?

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq