Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST

On 12/4/2005 11:45 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

Well as I said it depends on the size of the data. Are we talking 100 meg vector images? Then large objects. Are we talking thumbnails that are 32k then bytea.

I'd say that anything up to a megabyte or so can easily live in bytea. Beyond that it depends on the access pattern.

That said, for certain situations I think some sql-callable functions would be very handy:

    lo_get(oid) returns bytea
    lo_set(oid, bytea) returns void
    lo_ins(bytea) returns oid
    lo_del(oid) returns void

Those (and maybe some more) would allow access of traditional large objects through client interfaces that don't support the regular large object calls.

Jan