Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST

This doesn't answer the question.

Fact is that most procedural languages (including PL/pgSQL) don't have any access to classic large objects in the first place. So all the stored procedure can do is to return the identifier of the large object to the client and the client must then use lo_open(), lo_read() etc. to actually get the data of the object. Not all client interfaces support these fastpath based libpq functions.

You are correct, I missed the part about wanting to return from a stored procedure.

Well I have to disagree with this. It entirely depends on the size of the data you are storing. Bytea is remarkably
innefficient.

Which would be the data type of your choice for images?
Well as I said it depends on the size of the data. Are we talking 100 meg vector images? Then large objects. Are we talking thumbnails that are 32k then bytea.

Joshua D. Drake

Jan