Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Why database is corrupted after re-booting

Andrus wrote:

QUANTUM FIREPALLP LM20.5 is a widely used ATA IDE drive.

Where do find information does it implement write caching properly or not ?

I don't think the manufacturers bother to make this sort of information available.

Is there IDE drive compatibility list for Postgres ?

No - for the reason above (amongst oghers).

If this information is not available is there a standard utility which can determine this drive compatibility with Postgres under Windows ?

Try the test I described earlier.

Is it possible write utility which converts corrupted database to readable
state so that SELECT * FROM anytable will work always ?
This utility may remove all contraints, just create database which contains as much data as possible. Then I can import this data to empty correct database and discard all rows which violate database rules.

There's nothing I know of, and I don't think we see enough problems to build anything very sophisticated. There is a file-dump utility from Red Hat:
  http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/

Far better is to always have a known-good version on the machine. Have a look in the manuals for Point-in-time recovery (PITR). That might suit your needs. It also would let you re-run changes to any point in the day - useful for clients who delete things they shouldn't!

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster